Bridges, Barns and Bungalows
335. The 'Red Bridge' at Campbell Town - Built in 1838 using convict labour, the ‘Red Bridge’ crosses the Elizabeth River at Campbell Town. It is the oldest surviving brick arch bridge in Australia, as well as the oldest bridge anywhere on the National Highway. It consists of three arch spans each of 7.6 m accommodating two lanes of traffic as well as pedestrian walkways. It lies on the Midlands Highway, roughly halfway between Hobart and Launceston, carrying over two million vehicles per year. Its design has been attributed to James Blackburn, himself a convict. It was constructed on dry land using 1,250,000 hand-made bricks, and after its completion the river was diverted to flow under it. It has been on the Register of the National Estate since 1978.